Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Cameron has a loose tooth

It's finally happened. Cameron has the most coveted condition among 5 and 6 year old boys: the all hallowed loose tooth.

For months he has come to me saying, "Look, mom - I have a loose tooth. See?" only to be prying diligently a firmly cemented baby tooth. "No, Cameron, it's not loose," I say before sending him back off the play.

Today he approached me in the bathroom as I hurriedly prepared to leave for school. "Look, mom - I have a loose tooth. See?" I had little time to argue, so I said, "OK , sure. Loose tooth. Whatever." When we got to school, I found him in the corner showing a friend. "He THINKS he has a loose tooth," I say to his teacher. Just humor him, OK?

This afternoon, he approached me again to discuss it again, only this time I looked a little closer. Sure enough, the magic had finally started... he was indeed preparing for one of the most exciting rites of passage, one of many we'll encounter on the road to adulthood. The first and only not rife with hormones or anything dangerous!

Of course I'm now on the Internet trying to find out just how long these babies wiggle before they fall out. Gosh, I'm kind of sad, though. This was the first tooth we watched emerge from his gummy grin on his six month birthday. My how time has passed.

No comments: